Part of this Programme
Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS
Bachelor | Semestral | 5
Year | Type of course unit | Language
3 |Mandatory |Português
Total of Working Hours | Duration of Contact (hours)
125 | 30
Recommended complementary curricular units
Prerequisites and co-requisites
The content of the syllabus is in accordance with the areas of specialization of the professors who will teach the course unit. Based on the knowledge learned during the 1st and 2nd year of the degree, it will be possible to apply it in the realization of a theoretical-practical project. In the different areas of biotechnology will focus the following contents: chemistry: natural products for therapeutic, environmental and genetic food: therapeutic of cardiovascular diseases. Methods of diagnosis bacteriology: therapeutics against bacteria resistant to antibiotics. Nutraceutical diagnosis methods: cosmetic products with antioxidant and antimicrobial characteristics food: products with antioxidant characteristics applied biocatalysis: enzymatic formulations and biocatalytic systems to obtain molecules with applications in the food and pharmaceutical areas environment: bioremediation and / or biomonitoring of soil and water components
It is intended that the students have contact with the areas of scientific research inherent to biotechnology.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
Students will gain an overview of the type of work they can do in their professional careers, whether in R & D, industry or diagnostic laboratories. In this sense, the professors assigned to the degree, in their various fields of specialization, will develop with the students a research project in order to have contact with procedures and / or methodologies that are part of research lines in biotechnology namely in chemistry, genetics , bacteriology, environmental engineering and food engineering. In addition, experts in the field of biotechnology will be invited so that students can have knowledge of related fields.
Teaching methodologies and assessment
The syllabus content will be taught by FE faculty and / or specialists in the different areas of Biotechnology. At the beginning of the semester there will be a joint class with all the teachers in which the topics will be presented during the semester and which ones are responsible. During the semester, all students will attend the theoretical / theoretical-practical classes that will be given in the form of modules corresponding to the different areas. Simultaneously each student will develop the topic of interest with the teacher assigned to the respective area. The evaluation will be by the accomplishment of a scientific article and presentation of a poster based on theoretical-practical / practical work developed with the teacher (75%). There will also be an examination that includes the subject matter of the other areas taught (25%).
A bibliografia é variada, tendo por base artigos científicos sendo disponibilizada por cada um dos docentes de acordo com as áreas e os temas lecionados