Part of this Programme
Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS
Bachelor | Semestral | 5,5
Year | Type of course unit | Language
2 |Mandatory |Português
Total of Working Hours | Duration of Contact (hours)
140 | 60
Recommended complementary curricular units
Prerequisites and co-requisites
1. Electric fields in polarizable media and magnetic fields in magnetizable media 1.1.Polarization: the dielectric means 1.2.The electric displacement 1.3.Magnetization: the diamagnetic, paramagnetic and ferromagnetic means 1.4.The magnetic intensity 2.The electromagnetic field 2.1.Education electromagnetic : Faraday's law 2.2.Mutual induction and self-induction 2.3.Current displacement: the law of generalized Ampere 2.4.The energy of the electromagnetic field 2.5.The potentials of the electromagnetic field 3.Electromagnetic fields 3.1.Elections of the wave of the electromagnetic field 3.2 plane waves 3.3.The polarization of electromagnetic waves 3.4.The energy of electromagnetic waves 4.Optical 4.1.Reflection and refraction 4.2.Formulas of Fresnel 4.3.Reflected energy and refracted energy 4.4.Interference of waves 5.Propagation of electromagnetic waves 5.1.The approximation of the spherical wave 5.2.The oscillating dipole 5.3.The electromagnetic waves in dispersive media 5.4. The transmission line 5.5. The waveguides
Electrical fields in dielectrics and magnetic fields in magnetizable media. Electric fields and magnetic fields varying in time: Faraday's law and displacement currents. Electromagnetic waves.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
Determination of the electric field in dielectrics and the magnetic field in magnetizable media. Electromagnetic induction, theoretical study of motors, generators and transformers. Electromagnetic waves in the approach of the plane wave, optical, dispersion of waves, transmission line and wave guides.
Teaching methodologies and assessment
Classes consist of two hours weekly exposition of theory (with examples) and two hours of weekly workout resolution. Evaluation rules 1. Continuous assessment (two frequencies in three assessment moments) Requirements for passing the course - arithmetic mean between the two best frequencies (referring to different parts of the syllabus contents) equal to or greater than 10 points, provided that neither have a rating of less than 8. 2. Final exam Requirements for approval in the discipline - classification of 10 or higher in the exam; score equal to 9 values in the exam, followed by oral with positive evaluation.
* Introdução ao Electromagnetismo, Ricardo Gaio Alves.
* Electromagnetism, I. S. Grant e W. R. Phillips.
* Electromagnetismo, Alfredo Barbosa Henriques e Jorge Crispim Romão.
* Classical Electrodynamics, J. D. Jackson.
* The Feynman Lectures on Physics (Vol. 2), Feynman, Leighton e Sands.