Part of this Programme
Industrial Engineering and Management.
Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS
Bachelor | Semestral | 5
Year | Type of course unit | Language
3 |Mandatory |Português
Total of Working Hours | Duration of Contact (hours)
140 | 60
Recommended complementary curricular units
Prerequisites and co-requisites
1. Notions of Environmental Ecology. Environmental Impacts.
2. Fundamental concepts of energy and definitions.
3. Energy management.
4. Global specific consumptions.
5. Analysis of the national regulation on the energy field. (Direct and indirect energy costs, Reference values,
6. National energetic balance. (Consumption¿s evolution and disaggregation, Energy intensity and other indicators,
National Energetic Plan).
7. Energy sources and energy consumption in the World and in Portugal.
8. Fossil fuels and climatic changes.
9. Renewable energies and sustainable development.
10. SGCIE - System of Intensive Energy Consumption
11. ECS ¿ National Energy Certification and Inner Air Quality in Buildings (RBES, RBTB)
Critical ability in the energy area, namely, ability to discuss differences between final and primary energy, indirect
energy consumptions, price policy, and consumption structures, etc.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
Introduction to the sustainable development problems and their relation with the energy use and conversion.
Elementary knowledge of technologies associated with the various types of renewable energies.
Knowledge of the Management System of Intensive Energy Consumption (SGCIE)
Knowledge of the national energy certification system (ECS-Energy Certification System, RBECS -Regulation on
Buildings Energy and Climzatization Systems, and RBTB-Regulation on Buildings Thermal Behaviour)
Teaching methodologies and assessment
The presentation of themes will be made with the aid of PowerPoint presentations, articles and news.
Continuous assessment (0.1) + Presentation of practical assignment during the lecturing period (Renewable
Energies) (0.2) + Final Test (0.7).
¿ Análise Energética de Sistemas, Miguel Águas, AEIST, 1997.
¿ Renewable Energy. Power for Sustainable Future (2º Edição), G.Boyle (editor), Oxford University Press.
¿ Handbook of Industrial Energy Analysis , Boustead, I. and Hancock, G., 1979, Ellis Horwood Limited, John Wiley &
¿ Edições da DGGE.
¿ Energia no Mundo, Edições IEA.
¿ Ecologia Industrial: Princípios e Ferramentas, Paulo Ferrão, 2009, IST PRESS
¿ DL 78/2006, DL 79/2006, DL 80/2006 e DL 71/2008