European Union Law
Part of this Programme
Level of Qualification|Semesters|ECTS
Bachelor | Semestral | 6
Year | Type of course unit | Language
1 |Mandatory |Português
Total of Working Hours | Duration of Contact (hours)
150 | 75
Recommended complementary curricular units
Prerequisites and co-requisites
PART I EUROPEAN INTEGRATION I - THE HISTORY OF EUROPEAN INTEGRATION II - THE LEGAL NATURE OF THE EUROPEAN UNION III - THE INTERNAL MARKET AND FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS PART II THE LEGAL ORDER OF THE EUROPEAN UNION IV - THE SOURCES OF LAW OF THE EUROPEAN UNION V - THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF EUROPEAN UNION VI - FUNDAMENTAL RIGHTS IN THE EUROPEAN UNION PART III ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTIONING OF THE EUROPEAN UNION VII - THE COMPETENCIES OF THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE MEMBER STATES VIII - THE EUROPEAN UNION BODIES, INSTITUTIONS AND BODIES IX - THE DECISION-MAKING PROCESS IN THE EUROPEAN UNION EUROPEAN UNION X - THE DIRECT APPLICABILITY OF EUROPEAN LAW
To promote knowledge and understanding of the organization and functioning of the institutions of the European Union and to pave the way for the academic and professional specialization of students in the field of European Union law.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
. Provide students with consistent training on the European Union, including its genesis and evolution, institutions and decision-making procedures. . Develop students' analytical skills and prepare them for the application of acquired knowledge to legal practice, including in European Union competitions.
Teaching methodologies and assessment
. Theoretical classes with exposition of themes. Practical classes with presentation of the subject in constant interaction with the students, complemented by debates on current issues and by the resolution of practical cases, in order to deepen the knowledge and the development of the capacities of criticism, analysis and synthesis. . Use of audiovisual and computer media. . Complementary bibliographic indications. . Continuous assessment consists of: (i) active and quality participation in the course of practical classes; (ii) performance of an evaluation test, the classification of which must be equal to or greater than ten (10) values. The final evaluation alternative at the end of the semester is done by final exam.
- GORJÃO-HENRIQUES, Miguel (2014). Direito da União. (7.ª ed.). Coimbra, Almedina
- FAUSTO QUADROS (2014). Direito da União Europeia. Coimbra: Almedina
- MARTINS, Ana Maria Guerra (2012). Manual de Direito da União Europeia. Coimbra: Almedina
- MOTA DE CAMPOS, João Luiz & Mota de Campos, João (2010). Manual de Direito Europeu. O sistema institucional, a ordem jurídica e o ordenamento económico da União Europeia. (6.ª ed.). Coimbra: Coimbra Editora
- PAIS, Sofia Oliveira (Coord.). (2013). Princípios fundamentais de direito da União Europeia: uma abordagem jurisprudencial. (3.ª ed.). Coimbra: Almedina
- Tratados da União Europeia
- Portal oficial da União Europeia: http://europa.eu/index_pt.htm