Class Digital Journalism

  • Presentation


    The Digital Journalism course unit explores digital narratives as they are designed, produced and consumed in various electronic and virtual formats. Given that this area is expansive and will continue to generate new immersive experiences, stories and technologies, the curricular unit will focus on the foundations for understanding new transmedia environments and will explore in greater detail the best practices for creating narratives with data, one of the major trends today. What are the essential elements of a data-driven story? What are the tools and techniques that can be used to produce these new narratives? We will cover the fundamental principles of data analysis and its visual presentation, the various types of graphs and when to use them. Students will not only learn about various visualization tools for the web, they will also have the opportunity to create interactive narrative visualizations with Flourish.

  • Code


  • Syllabus


    • The Medium is the message
    • Environment | Desktop, Mobile, Tablet
    • Virtual reality, 360 video and immersive audio
    • Journalism on social media
    • Artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things
    • Journalism in the age of data
    • Telling visual stories with data
    • Perception, aesthetics, interactivity, animation, color, narrative and software
    • Where are we going? What is the future of journalism?
  • Objectives


    Student will essentially acquire skills that will enable them to:

    • Demonstrate a solid understanding of the methods, skills, tools and systems used in the interdisciplinary construction of digital journalistic pieces.
    • Demonstrate the ability to choose the appropriate technologies to communicate and design a project that leverages your knowledge of emerging digital platforms and technologies.
    • Communicate effectively through visual, written and oral communication, whichever is most appropriate for the story you want to tell.
    • Be familiar with using data to produce stories with impact and authority.
  • Teaching methodologies and assessment

    Teaching methodologies and assessment

    Classes will have a theoretical/practical nature. Classwork and small exercises will be counted in the evaluation component reserved for participation and will be worth 20% of the final grade. The remaining 80% of the grade is reserved for the various works that will be developed individually and in groups.

  • References


    • Cairo, A. - The Functional Art: An introduction to information graphics and visualization. New Riders, 2012.
    • Gray, J., Chambers, L., & Bounegru, L. The data journalism handbook: how journalists can use data to improve the news. O'Reilly Media, Inc., 2012.
    • Hernandez, R. K., & Rue, J. The principles of multimedia journalism: Packaging digital news. Routledge, 2015.
    • Huff, D. How to lie with statistics. WW Norton & Company, 1993.
    • Murray, J. H., & Murray, J. H. Hamlet on the holodeck: The future of narrative in cyberspace. MIT press, 2017.
    • Yau, N. Data points: visualization that means something. John Wiley & Sons, 2013.
  • Office Hours

    Office Hours

    Nome do docente  

    Horário de atendimento











Cookie Policy
This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience.
Lisboa 2020 Portugal 2020 Small Logo EU small Logo PRR Logo UE Financed Logo PT Provedor do Estudante Livro de reclamaões Elogios