Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Master | 4 Semesters | 120 ECTS
The following may apply for the Master's Degree:
a) People who hold a B.A. or equivalent degree;
b) People who hold a foreign academic degree awarded after a 1st study cycle organized according to the Bologna Process by a member state of that process;
c) People who hold a foreign academic degree acknowledged as a degree satisfying the objectives of the graduate degree by the due body;
d) People who have a school, scientific or professional curriculum acknowledged by the due body of ULHT certifying the capacity to obtain this study cycle.
Have completed a total of 120 ECTS
- Promoting and developing knowledge in the field of Social Gerontology, through qualified research;
- Contribute to the training of specialized staff competent to perform functions of planning, administration and coordination of social policies and intervention projects, as well as to foster research projects and for teaching in this specific field;
- Reflecting on active aging determinants in bio-psychosocial and spiritual dimensions;
- Increasing health promotion, prevention and rehabilitation of diseases and disabilities, towards healthy aging, aiming at a better quality of life;
- Promoting qualification of professionals from different fields, in multidisciplinary teams, for a sporadic and/or continuous care assistance, efficient and humane, for the elderly, families and institutions;
- Locate the dimensions of human rights and ethics at gerontology intervention.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
The objectives aim at developing skills:
- In the field of theoretical and conceptual acquisition;
- In the research dimension, taking into account the knowledge production that fosters and strengthens the relationship between theory and practice;
- On analysis of social, health and legal policies, and its operation in concrete life contexts of the elderly;
- In specific gerontological intervention: design, coordination, implementation and evaluation of programs, projects and units of welfare for the long-lived population;
- In relations - interpersonal communication and work in interdisciplinary teams.
Units of mainly theoretical character and other more operative components are part of the syllabus. The former include acquiring knowledge of theoretical frameworks on aging and old age in contemporary societies, as well as the biological, psychological and social aspects of aging.
The latter seek to develop research and intervention strategies in the theoretical and methodological, technical and operational, ethical and political dimensions in the field of Social Gerontology. In these still fall some where the practical dimension gains greater distinction with the direct contact with field trials, and with invited experts in the classroom or organized workshop's / seminars.
Objectives and capacity building development control is developed through:
- Formal assessment according to parameters set in each one of the CU, taking into account the their characteristics and skills to be developed;
- Active participation in activities within the scope of NAEG and the Center of Research and Social Studies (CPES);
- Masters individual project development skill whether it is located in the narrow research dimension or in the production of projects of intervention, implementation and evaluation of geriatric services and innovative responses and its completion.
Equipments and venues
"This programme has the following facilities to support teaching activities: Technological Work Centre, Library and Study Rooms.
All our rooms are also equipped with: Portable videoprojector, PC /Netbook and overhead projector."
The master degree allows access to postgraduate studies, including PhD.
Entities and public or private Bodies ¿ Municipalities, IPSS, Nursing Homes, Companies
Trabalho social e orientação | Sociologia e outros estudos | Saúde¿programas não classificados noutra área