José Carlos Santos Neves
José Carlos Neves has in the physical interface and interactive art his main focus of research, subjects he follows on his artistic work and post-graduation studies: he accomplishes a PHD in Communication Studies and a Master in Multimedia Communication Systems with dissertations on those frame studies. With a degree in Communication Design, he has a solid professional experience in the Graphic Design field; he was senior designer and founder associate of a design studio for several years. Currently he manages subjects related to design and technologies at ULHT. As a lecturer, he teaches subjects in the areas of Interaction Design, Digital Arts and Communication Design in several bachelor degrees (Design, Videogames, Cinema, Applied Communications) and in one Master Degree (Teaching Visual Arts in the third Cycle). Believing in the principle of «learning-by-doing», where real projects can benefit the learning process, he his currently involved in two projects involving Game Based Learning: a) Co-IR and investigator at GBL4deaf – Game-Based Learning for Deaf (funded by FCT/Lisboa 2020) — the project aims to explore the value of digital games in the mathematics learning process of deaf students of 2nd and 3rd cycles of Basic Education, contributing to a more inclusive and equalitarian education; b) Coordinator at EducaçãoAcessível.pt — an ongoing project (started in 2015) integrated on the ULHT Videogames Bachelor Degree, that aims to teach mathematics to deaf children through video games with integration of original physical interfaces. As interaction designer and project manager, he has in Gulbenkian’s “Centro Interpretativo Ribeiro Telles” his most relevant project: a multimedia space dedicated to Gulbenkian garden, in which he coordinated the CICANT-ULHT team (CECL-UNL was a project partner) and conceived the physical interface of the main room.
LicenciaturaLicenciatura em Design de Comunicação
MestradoMestrado em Sistemas de Comunicação Multimédia
OutrosStelarc - seminário "Zombies, cyborgs & phantoms"
Curso médioMassimo Banzi - Arduino “Let’s get phisical”
Curso médiocertificado de formação profissional
OutrosDieter Daniels - seminário "Audiovisões: Imagem e Som, Arte, Media "
OutrosSiegfried Zielinski - Seminário “Vaiantology “
Curso médioLucia Santaella - Seminário
OutrosRudolf Frieling - Seminário "Participation: Critical Histories of Museums"
OutrosEduardo Kac - seminário “Novas tendências da media art “
Curso médioWorkshop “Fritzing” - Nuno Marques
Curso médioWorkshop “Controlo de Motores” - Rui Marcelino
Curso médioWorkshop “Soldar e mo´dulos de testes Arduino” - Rui Marcelino
DoutoramentoDoutoramento em Ciências da Comunicação
- Pela Tangibilidade do Interface na Obra de Arte Interativa, Conferência Tecnologias Culturais e Artes dos Media
- O Interface como Obra, 16 Encontro Internacional de Arte e Tecnologia: #16.ART: Artis intelligentia: IMAGINAR O REAL
- Developing Pedagogical Videogames to Support Math Learning in Deaf Children: A Work in Progress (Phases 1-3)., ECGBL 2019 -13th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2019-10, Games for Mathematics’ education of deaf students – A systematic literature review, ECGBL 2019 -13th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2018-04-19, Educacaoacessivel.pt: a Case Study of Production and Application of Video Games for Teaching Mathematics to Deaf People, Play2Learn
- 2021, A Bilingual in-Game Tutorial: Designing Videogame Instructions Accessible to Deaf Students, Springer International Publishing
- 2020-09, A bilingual in-game tutorial: designing player instructions for an educational game accessible to deaf students — a work in progress, ECGBL 2020 -14th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2019-10, Developing Pedagogical Videogames to Support Math Learning in Deaf Children: A Work in Progress (Phases 1-3), The Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Game Based Learning ECGBL 2019
- 2018-11-30, InShadow's Best Screendance Prize, Design and production of "sculpture" to be assign to the Best Screendance of the InShadow Festival
- 2013, Centro Interpretativo do Jardim da Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian > director de produção e autor do design de interface
- 2018-11-23, And the Award Goes to…, Galeria da Faculdade de Belas Artes, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2017-12-05, Interface a 4 tempos para: Mendax Sonata, espaço Cultural da Mercês, Lisboa, Portugal
- 2016-11-10, One Red Button, galeria das Belas Artes de Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2015-09-24, Amachina (Plunc Festival), Terminal Fluvial Cais do Sodré, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2014-12, Amachina (InShadow Festival), Museu Bordalo Pinheiro, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2014-11-27, Split Screen (Post Screen Festival), Faculdade de Belas Artes de Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2013-12-03, Limiar 2.0, Teatro São Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2013-05-19, ZTS Fragmentum (Culturgest), Culturgest, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2012-03-31, ZTS Fragmentum (INDEX), Cine-Teatro São Pedro, Abrantes, Portugal.
- 2010-12-07, ZTS fragmentum (InShadow'11), Teatro São Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2010-12-05, Step by Step, Teatro Sa~o Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2010-10-07, Split Screen (TV/ARTS/TV), Museu Arts Santa Mónica de Barcelona, Spain.
- 2008-10-07, Limiar, Reitoria Universidade do Porto, Portugal.
- 2016-12-01, educacaoacessivel.ulusofona.pt, http://educacaoacessivel.ulusofona.pt