José Carlos Santos Neves
José Carlos Neves has in the physical interface and interactive art his main focus of research, subjects he follows on his artistic work and post-graduation studies: he accomplishes a PHD in Communication Studies and a Master in Multimedia Communication Systems with dissertations on those frame studies. With a degree in Communication Design, he has a solid professional experience in the Graphic Design field; he was senior designer and founder associate of a design studio for several years. Currently he manages subjects related to design and technologies at ULHT. As a lecturer, he teaches subjects in the areas of Interaction Design, Digital Arts and Communication Design in several bachelor degrees (Design, Videogames, Cinema, Applied Communications) and in one Master Degree (Teaching Visual Arts in the third Cycle). Believing in the principle of «learning-by-doing», where real projects can benefit the learning process, he his currently involved in two projects involving Game Based Learning: a) Co-IR and investigator at GBL4deaf – Game-Based Learning for Deaf (funded by FCT/Lisboa 2020) — the project aims to explore the value of digital games in the mathematics learning process of deaf students of 2nd and 3rd cycles of Basic Education, contributing to a more inclusive and equalitarian education; b) Coordinator at EducaçãoAcessível.pt — an ongoing project (started in 2015) integrated on the ULHT Videogames Bachelor Degree, that aims to teach mathematics to deaf children through video games with integration of original physical interfaces. As interaction designer and project manager, he has in Gulbenkian’s “Centro Interpretativo Ribeiro Telles” his most relevant project: a multimedia space dedicated to Gulbenkian garden, in which he coordinated the CICANT-ULHT team (CECL-UNL was a project partner) and conceived the physical interface of the main room.
LicenciaturaLicenciatura em Design de Comunicação
MestradoMestrado em Sistemas de Comunicação Multimédia
OutrosStelarc - seminário "Zombies, cyborgs & phantoms"
Curso médioMassimo Banzi - Arduino “Let’s get phisical”
Curso médiocertificado de formação profissional
OutrosDieter Daniels - seminário "Audiovisões: Imagem e Som, Arte, Media "
OutrosSiegfried Zielinski - Seminário “Vaiantology “
Curso médioLucia Santaella - Seminário
OutrosRudolf Frieling - Seminário "Participation: Critical Histories of Museums"
OutrosEduardo Kac - seminário “Novas tendências da media art “
Curso médioWorkshop “Fritzing” - Nuno Marques
Curso médioWorkshop “Controlo de Motores” - Rui Marcelino
Curso médioWorkshop “Soldar e mo´dulos de testes Arduino” - Rui Marcelino
DoutoramentoDoutoramento em Ciências da Comunicação
- Pela Tangibilidade do Interface na Obra de Arte Interativa, Conferência Tecnologias Culturais e Artes dos Media
- O Interface como Obra, 16 Encontro Internacional de Arte e Tecnologia: #16.ART: Artis intelligentia: IMAGINAR O REAL
- Developing Pedagogical Videogames to Support Math Learning in Deaf Children: A Work in Progress (Phases 1-3)., ECGBL 2019 -13th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- Conducting a Usability Playtest of a Mathematics Educational Game with Deaf and Hearing Students, Videojogos 2020
- 2022, Inclusive AR-games for Education of Deaf Children: Challenges and Opportunities, 16th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2022, Bridging Academia and Civil Society for Access and Inclusion: Insights from Action-Research Experiences, IAMCR Beijing 2022 - IAMCR Beijing 2022 - Communication Research in the Era of Neo-Globalisation: Reorientations, Challenges and Changing Contexts
- 2021-09-08, Research in Serious Games for People with Intellectual Disability: a Meta- analysis Study, 13th International Conference on Disability, Virtual Reality & Associated Technologies (ICDVRAT)
- 2021, Participatory Game Creation for People with Intellectual Disability: Insights from an Action-Research Experience, IAMCR Nairobi 2021 - Rethinking borders and boundaries: Beyond the global/local dichotomy in communication studies.
- 2019-10, Games for Education of Deaf Students: A Systematic Literature Review, ECGBL 2019 -13th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2018-04-19, Educacaoacessivel.pt: a Case Study of Production and Application of Video Games for Teaching Mathematics to Deaf People, Play2Learn
- 2023-06, Space Adventure: defend the planet!, 18th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games
- 2023-05-29, Fashion brand campaigns: Carlos Gil SS21 case study, Clothing Cultures
- 2022-07-01, Intellectual disability through gaming: Operationalizing accessibility, participation and inclusion, Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds
- 2022-04-26, Empowerment and Well-Being Through Participatory Action Research and Accessible Gaming: A Case Study With Adults With Intellectual Disability, Frontiers in Education
- 2022-01-25, The Pedagogical Value of Creating Accessible Games: A Case Study with Higher Education Students, Multimodal Technologies and Interaction
- 2022-01-06, Exploring the Feasibility of Game-Based Tangible Resources in the Teaching of Deaf Preschoolers and their Hearing Peers, Journal of Educational Studies and Multidisciplinary Approaches
- 2023-04-12, Expanded memories: artistic experiments into hybrid analogue-digital film production, Royal Academy of Fine Arts, Antwerp, Belgium
- 2018-11-23, And the Award Goes to…, Galeria da Faculdade de Belas Artes, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2017-12-05, Interface a 4 tempos para: Mendax Sonata, espaço Cultural da Mercês, Lisboa, Portugal
- 2016-11-10, One Red Button, galeria das Belas Artes de Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2015-09-24, Amachina (Plunc Festival), Terminal Fluvial Cais do Sodré, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2014-12, Amachina (InShadow Festival), Museu Bordalo Pinheiro, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2014-11-27, Split Screen (Post Screen Festival), Faculdade de Belas Artes de Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2013-12-03, Limiar 2.0, Teatro São Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2013-05-19, ZTS Fragmentum (Culturgest), Culturgest, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2012-03-31, ZTS Fragmentum (INDEX), Cine-Teatro São Pedro, Abrantes, Portugal.
- 2010-12-07, ZTS fragmentum (InShadow'11), Teatro São Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2010-12-05, Step by Step, Teatro Sa~o Luiz, Lisboa, Portugal.
- 2010-10-07, Split Screen (TV/ARTS/TV), Museu Arts Santa Mónica de Barcelona, Spain.
- 2008-10-07, Limiar, Reitoria Universidade do Porto, Portugal.
- 2023-04-12, Expanded Memories: Artistic Experiments into Hybrid Analogue-Digital Film Production, Cumulus 2023 conference, Faculty of Design Sciences of the University of Antwerp, Antwerp.
- 2020-09, A bilingual in-game tutorial: designing player instructions for an educational game accessible to deaf students — a work in progress, ECGBL 2020 -14th European Conference on Games Based Learning
- 2019-10, Developing Pedagogical Videogames to Support Math Learning in Deaf Children: A Work in Progress (Phases 1-3), The Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Game Based Learning ECGBL 2019
- 2023, Developing Playful and Tangible Approaches to the Gap Between Academia and Civil Society: Inclusion, and Access Through Participatory Action-Research
- 2021, A Bilingual in-Game Tutorial: Designing Videogame Instructions Accessible to Deaf Students, Springer International Publishing
- 2021-11-01, OPERAT - laboratory for research and production on tangible accessible resources, https://operat.ulusofona.pt
- 2016-12-01, educacaoacessivel.ulusofona.pt, http://educacaoacessivel.ulusofona.pt
- 2018-11-30, InShadow's Best Screendance Prize, Design and production of "sculpture" to be assign to the Best Screendance of the InShadow Festival
- 2013, Centro Interpretativo do Jardim da Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian > director de produção e autor do design de interface