Class Stress and Quality of Life at Work

  • Presentation


    The nature of work and the characteristics of organizations influence people's quality of life. Past and ongoing radical changes in the social, economic and organizational context trigger changes in professional risk factors and their magnitude and impacts on people and organizations. This UC aims to raise students' awareness of the factors mentioned above and provide them with tools for diagnosis and intervention in matters of QoLW and Stress in the organizational context.

  • Code


  • Syllabus


    1. Quality of life at work (QoLW)

    1.1 Evolution of the concept

    1.2 Determinants of the quality of the work environment: Physical factors; Human factors and ergonomics; Psychosocial factors; Organizational and work factors.

    1.3 Healthy workplaces


    2. Stress and psychosocial risks

    2.1 Evolution of concepts

    2.2 Stress: Consequences on physical, psychological, and social health and well-being

    2.3 Stress: Causes/risk factors

    2.4 Stress: Mitigators / protective factors

    2.5. Risk assessment, management, and communication.


    3. Health and well-being in the workplace

    3.1 Psychosocial diagnosis at work and in organizations: methods, techniques, and measures

    3.2 Risk prevention and health promotion: Training and Intervention

    3.3 Programs to promote health and well-being in the workplace.

  • Objectives


    At the end of the CU students should be able to:
    OA1) characterize different explanatory and interventional approaches related to Quality of Life and Stress in the workplace;
    OA2) characterize factors (physical, human, psychosocial, organizational) that trigger imbalances;
    OA3) identify risk profiles and situations;
    OA4) know how to use diagnostic methods, techniques and instruments appropriate to specific themes and contexts;
    OA5) know prevention and intervention strategies.

  • Teaching methodologies and assessment

    Teaching methodologies and assessment

    The methodologies used in class are: exposition of content, completed with discussion in class; viewing and analysis of excerpts from films and documentaries; analysis of scientific articles; exercises; tutorial support for work. 60% of contact hours will be dedicated to the exposure of theoretical content and the remaining 40%, to carrying out activities aimed at training technical skills and developing teamwork skills, through group dynamics.

  • References


    Aven, T., Ben-Haim, Y., Boje Andersen, H., Cox, T., Droguett, E. L., Greenberg, M., ... & Thompson, K. M. (2018). Society for risk analysis glossary. Arlington: SRA.

    Alderfer, C. (2011). The practice of organizational diagnosis: Theory and Methods. New York: Oxford University Press.

    Holt, A. St.-J. & Allen, J. (2014). Principles of health and safety at work (8th ed.). NY: Routledge

    OMS (2010). Ambientes de trabalho saudáveis: Um modelo para ação. Geneva: World Health Organization.

    Pina e Cunha, M. & Rego, A. (2003). Comportamento organizacional e gestão: Instrumentos de medida. Lisboa: Escolar Editora.

    Quick, James Campbell et al. (2013). Preventive stress management in organizations (2nd ed). Washington: American Psychological Association.

    Sousa Uva, A. (2010). Diagnóstico e gestão do risco em saúde ocupacional (2ª Ed). Lisboa: Autoridade para as Condições do Trabalho.

Cookie Policy
This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience.
Lisboa 2020 Portugal 2020 Small Logo EU small Logo PRR republica 150x50 Logo UE Financed Provedor do Estudante Livro de reclamaões Elogios filmeu