The Universidade Lusófona MA in Film Heritage offers an interdisciplinary training in two years that aims to meet the growing needs for documentation, conservation and restoration, curating, programming and access to audio-visual archives. Because of the technological evolution and the rapid expansion of multiple media, the MA main goal is to train specialists in the various areas of film collections, videos and new digital formats to promote the idea of a living archive.
Reasons to apply
- Um curso de mestrado orientado para uma formação prática em conservação e restauro, gestão de arquivo e programação do património audiovisual, e uma oportunidade única de desenvolver projetos na área.
- Formação única no país em parceria direta com a Cinemateca Portuguesa e com os laboratórios profissionais de imagem digital especializados em restauro cinematográfico como Irma¿ Lu¿cia Efeitos Visuais e CINERIC Portugal)
- Pode ter acesso a uma infraestrutura de laboratórios única no país e por em prática os conhecimentos adquiridos.
- Participação em atividades internacionais propostas pela FIAF (International Federation of Film Archives).
- Ter acesso a um corpo docente de excelência que integra como docentes alguns dos responsáveis mais relevantes no panorama profissional da gestão dos arquivos cinematográficos e audiovisuais em Portugal.
- Especialistas e profissionais nacionais e internacionais ligados a todas a áreas do património cinematográfico e audiovisual, desde da conservação preventiva à curadoria das coleções, são convidados regulares do 2º Ciclo.
Ministerial Order 8542/2021, of 27 August
Accredited - A3ES Decision
Confered Degree | Duration | ECTS
Master Degree | 4 Semesters | 120 ECTS
Have completed a total of 120 ECTS
The main learning objectives of the MA in Film Heritage are the acquisition of skills in the various areas of film and audio-visual collections management such as:
- the management of a film and audio-visual collection;
- the dissemination of cinematographic heritage through multiple national and international actions and programs;
- the knowledge of the various technologies and practices of image and sound over time and their main deteriorations, in the analogue and digital era;
- the preventive conservation measures for audio-visual collections, including its cataloguing;
- the acquisition of critical, ethical and analytical skills to restore a film based on a historical, aesthetic and socio-cultural research in the era of digital technology;
- the practice of analogue and digital restoration;
- the creation of a film essay using archive footage.
Knowledge, abilities and skills to be acquired
As film heritage results from the production of film works that over time has been in constant technological evolution, the management of archives, from the documentation of films to their dissemination, implies first a theoretical knowledge applied to the various areas of the moving image heritage and a critical and reflective analysis on the meaning of archive and memory. It is necessary to identify the different processes, techniques and their deterioration to diagnose the collections. After, in the perspective of cinematographic and audio-visual museology, conservation and restoration methodologies and treatments will be decided based on the professional deontology in force. Finally, in order to make an archive alive, one must value and disseminate past works. In a training in Film Heritage, there are chronological stages of learning and acquisition of competence that must be respected. This EC proposes in the curriculum development a progressive training that starts in the first semester with theoretical knowledge, to deepen them and apply them in practice in the second and third semesters. The dissertation/project allows the student to specialize in one of several areas of film and audio-visual media heritage.
Specialization and post-graduation programs, including 3rd cycle programs referring to PhD studies.
This 2nd Cycle in Film Heritage focuses on advanced training that allows specialization in the areas of archive management, analogue and digital conservation and restoration (preservation), consultancy and programming of audio-visual collections among other possibilities.
Theoretical classes take place in a seminar format, which allows a comprehensive reflection of the problems to debate and strengthens students' autonomy. This format leads to the attribution of competencies based on reflection and criticism of the presented themes, through the debate oriented around the treated subjects. In the practical-theoretical courses, the practical classes provide the student a contact with different scenarios and praxis in the reality of the professional market, through visits in institutions and laboratories specialized in the area of film heritage. During the academic year, experts in the different fields of the treated themes, national and international, will be regularly invited, enabling new perspectives and sharing their knowledge with a diversity of realities.
The classes are taught in Portuguese and English
Jornalismo e reportagem | Áudio-visuais e produção dos media